LeadershipAs an employer, it’s vital that you invest in the professional development of your leaders – both present and future. Whether you have leaders who need to become more effective in their roles, or individuals within your organisation interested in joining your leadership team, Go1 offers an extensive library of online resources to help them succeed.
One of the keys to any successful business is ensuring that teams are not managed by bosses, but by leaders. There are very distinct differences between a boss and a leader, with employees responding far more positively to a leader - who they respect and admire - than someone who is simply “a boss”.
Characteristics of a good leader include:
- Strong communication
- Good at delegation
- Ability to learn
These leadership characteristics aren’t something we’re necessarily born with, or learn more about as time progresses. However, all of these qualities can be taught, so a boss can develop into a great leader.
Without these qualities, teams are more likely to resent their boss and may be less inclined to cooperate, which will create a workplace where employees don’t feel valued. That means it will hurt your business’s culture, and your employees won’t produce their best work.
However, leadership development and training is the perfect way to ensure the bosses within your organization become great leaders.
How can managers develop leadership skills?
There are several ways employees can develop their leadership skills by ensuring that they aim to do the following:
- Be an inspiration, and motivate members of their team to do their best work
- Learn, learn, and learn some more - they can never know too much
- Practice self-discipline in their professional and personal lives, which they can do by being highly organized and ensuring they stick to their plans
- Understand the bigger picture and think ahead so they can overcome any obstacles that may arise
- Say “yes” to new challenges and be willing to step out of their comfort zone to learn more
- Embrace delegation and they shouldn’t be afraid to hand the reins to a colleague if the opportunity arises
- Manage conflicts of any size between colleagues
Do the managers within your business know how to use these skills effectively? And if they could be doing better, how can your business develop them?
Leadership development courses teach employees everything they need to know to help them become great leaders. Leadership training isn’t just reserved for current managers, but any employee who wants to learn leadership skills and develop their career within your business.
What are the 7 leadership skills?
As well as the characteristics listed above, there are seven key leadership skills that every leader must possess:
- The willingness to listen
Half of communication is the ability to listen. Teams want to know that their manager is listening to them and can offer empathy and help them to find solutions.
There’s no room for displaying frustrations as a leader. To persevere is to show commitment, because as the old saying goes, “Rome wasn’t built in a day”.
Being open and honest with your colleagues allows your business to acknowledge and ultimately overcome problems. Without honesty, a business is doomed to repeat mistakes.
Without trust, a team can’t prosper. Micromanagement is the sign of a weak leader, not a strong one, so trust is vital.
Linking closely with trust, integrity in a leader is what will earn them the trust of their team. From this, loyalty will develop.
A good leader will share knowledge and praise and know when to effectively delegate.
Being able to make strong, informed and reasoned decisions is important. Indecisiveness brews frustration and displays a lack of confidence in the team.
Can you teach leadership skills?
Yes, leadership skills can be taught. The best leadership training courses will build on employees’ confidence, and teach them how to use the qualities they have to be solid leaders.
What are the types of leadership training?
Leadership training is the process of teaching employees how to be effective leaders. There are several ways in which this can be done:
- In-person training
- Seminars and events
- Online training
Both in-person training and events can be difficult to organize, not to mention expensive - especially when attended by a large number of employees. However, when leadership training is undertaken online, employees will learn from the same course materials and it’s much more affordable.
Online learning is 100% self-directed, which means employees’ regular duties don’t suffer. It’s a win-win for employees and businesses looking to develop and improve their teams.
Online leadership training can cover all of the above skills we’ve covered or can focus on a specific topic for those looking to learn and develop in particular areas.
Does leadership training work?
Yes, leadership training can help managers become respected and effective leaders. A leadership training course provides all the material to the student instantly and teaches them skills they can put into practice straight away.
It’s important to remember that training to be a leader can take time, and employees need to be provided with the opportunity to use the skills they learn.
6 reasons why leadership training is important
There are six reasons why leadership training is important:
- Leaders will be able to create and implement strategies
- Communication between colleagues, including key stakeholders, will be improved
- Teams will be inspired and motivated, which will improve their efficiency and effectiveness
- When employees respect and trust their managers - and vice versa - it helps reduce turnover and builds a solid work culture
- Conflicts will be managed quickly and effectively, with strong leaders being able to resolve issues before they develop
- Good leaders can give and receive constructive feedback, which will improve the quality of work
What is taught in leadership training?
What’s taught in leadership training depends on the course taken. Leadership training for new managers will cover the fundamentals, but training for managers will cover advanced leadership training topics.
Training topics include:
- How to find a managers leadership style
- How to lead with confidence
- Effective communication
- How to influence colleagues
- How to improve emotional intelligence
- How to spot and rectify mistakes
Great leadership training for new managers include:
- Leadership Fundamentals
- 12 Essential Leadership Skills
- Do you have what it takes to be a great leader?
- The five things you need in your leadership training
Leadership training for managers looking for refresher training or to learn new skills and techniques include:
- The five things you need in your leadership training
- Leadership training
- Learning to lead with empathy
- How To Be An Influential Leader
Ready to take online leadership training?
Reach out to the friendly Go1 team to learn why over 3000 organizations choose Go1. We would love to hear from you, and start your Go1 journey together.
Go1 offers the world's largest digital learning hub of +100,000 resources and growing, delivered by the biggest names in eLearning, across a vast range of topics and industries. Whether it’s personal development, compliance or onboarding, Go1 is with you as you grow.