OSHA plays an important role in ensuring employee health and safety. This lesson provides a general overview of basic topics related to OSHA, how it operates, and how it focuses on maintaining employee health and safety as they perform their daily work. Information provided does not determine compliance responsibilities under OSHA standards or the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (OSH Act).
• Understand why OSHA is important to employees
• Describe rights employees have under OSHA
• List some of the employer’s responsibilities under OSHA
• Outline what applicable OSHA standards say
• Describe how OSHA inspections are conducted
• Identify where employees can go for help with occupational safety concerns