Medications - Safe handling and calculations - NSQHS Standard 4
Essential training and revision for all nurses, incorporating the NSQHS recommendations and guidelines. This course requires a 100% pass mark to successfully complete it. It includes some paediatric calculations but is not a paediatric medication calculation test.
Following revision of safe handling principles, the course provides detailed tuition on calculations and practice quiz questions before the final quiz.
This course is written by healthcare content experts and has been peer reviewed.
At the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand the main reasons why medication errors occur and the factors that can contribute to them.
- Understand how to avoid medication errors in the administration of medications.
- Be able to apply the principles for safe administration of medications.
- Be able to calculate the correct dosages for oral medications.
- Be able to calculate the correct dosages for injectable solutions.
- Know how to calculate the correct dosages for infusions.
- Have all the knowledge required to safely administer oral, injectable and intravenously infused medications.
Meeting the requirement to ensure that individual practitioners can safely calculate and administer medications, this course incorporates the guidelines and recommendations of NSQHS Standard 4. It is a comprehensive, interactive course recommended as an essential element of all ongoing learning packages for nurses.