After finishing this lesson, you will be able to discuss industry standard heat reduction methods for industrial AC power generation, including hydrogen cooling systems and their associated equipment.
• Explain why a hydrogen cooling system is a preferred option for operating with AC power generators
• List three properties of hydrogen which make it the efficient gas to use for industrial generator cooling purposes
• Describe how a generator is purged of hydrogen gas using carbon dioxide gas
• Identify hydrogen monitoring systems commonly found in power generation facilities
• Discuss why a seal oil system is required for a hydrogen-cooled generator
• Identify the parts of a stator cooling system commonly found in power generation facilities
• Define the term isolated-phase bus and discuss steps to cool it