When you complete this lesson, you will recognize the health risks associated with both asbestos and silica. You also will be able to identify ways to prevent exposure to these materials in the workplace. This lesson satisfies the initial and annual training requirements for OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.1001 (j) (7) and (m) (4).
• Describe the health risks of asbestos and silica exposure
• List symptoms of diseases associated with exposure to asbestos and silica
• Discuss the effect of the delay between exposure and the onset of symptoms
• Identify permissible exposure limits (PEL) for asbestos and silica
• Discuss the use of proper PPE used to reduce exposures
• Identify activities that commonly involve the potential for asbestos and silica exposure
• List other measures that can be implemented to reduce exposures