Blowing the whistle on unethical or illegal practices is a tough decision to make. In this course, psychology expert Peter Quarry, explores how your values and integrity may be compromised by what you’ve seen. You may be fearing the consequences. If considering whistleblowing, you will learn to ask yourself five specific questions, ascertaining degree and frequency of behaviors, their impact and what if anything is already being done. If the answers trouble you, seek independent advice before determining a path forward.
Key Learning Points
Blowing the whistle on unethical or illegal practices can be scary. Before seeking independent advice ask yourself 5 questions:
• How bad are the behaviors?
• Are they frequent or one-off?
• Are they illegal or do they break regulations?
• What is the impact?
• Is anyone else doing anything about it?
By the end of this course, learners should be able to:
• Apply five questions to your situation
• Use first question to establish – How bad are the behaviors?
• Use this question to establish frequency – Are they frequent or one-off?
• Assess legalities of behaviors – Are they illegal or do they break regulations?
• Assess the impact?
• Identify if anyone else doing anything about it
• Identify an independent person or body who can give you advice
This course is part of the 2 Minutes To Success Series created by Psychologist Eve Ash. A series of two minute microlearning programs from psychology experts with practical advice and techniques to help you tackle workplace problems and be more productive less stressed improve your image and regain control of your life. There are programs to deal with challenging people and situations and strategies for professional development and managing yourself and others.