Dismissing an Employee - What Professional Advisers Need to Know in Australia (2017) 1 CPD
Acting for Employers. How to ensure that you dismiss employees fairly and lawfully. There are many misconceptions about unfair or unlawful dismissal claims and what needs to be done to reduce the risk of a claim to the fair Work Commission, the Federal Circuit Court or the Federal Court. This presentation aims to assist all employers and their professional advisers in dealing with the very vexed issue of employee termination and the legal risks associated with dismissing an employee. The presentation will discuss the application of the unfair dismissal laws, the definition of “unfair dismissal”, the remedies available for unfairly dismissed employees and how to deal with an unfair dismissal claim at the Fair Work Commission. Practical examples from decisions of the Fair Work Commission will be discussed along with an analysis of the lessons learned to ensure that future terminations are handled fairly.
Recorded March 2017
Key Learning Outcomes:
- Identify what is an unfair dismissal
- Understand how the minimum employment period works
- Understand the procedural and jurisdictional issues that may arise with an unfair dismissal claim
- Have an overview of how to deal with serious misconduct or poor performance by an employee
- Have an overview of issues that can arise from a dismissal in breach of the general protections provisions of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth)
1 CPD Unit = 1 Hour Self Study (check with your Professional Body)
CPD for Me is a premium law CPD provider in Australia of exclusive comprehensive professional development training for lawyers and advisors provided by leading Australian barristers, accredited specialists and legal industry pre-recorded webinars available in GO1 Premium and Marketplace. Subjects include Ethics, Skills, Practice Management & Auslaw Updates.